Heian Nidan: Basic Kata but high level
Heian Nidan, the second in the series. According to some people the first 2 kata Heian, Shodan and Nidan formed only one kata. Some even think that the 5 Heian originally formed one and that it would have been a third form of Kanku. I put all this in conditional because they are only suppositions.
Heian Nidan, despite its apparent simplicity and the fact that it is in 2st position (see first for some styles), makes us climb very quickly level.
Indeed, compared to Heian Shodan, even if the embusen is almost identical, Heian Nidan has many more technical difficulties:
Two-armed defense techniques such as Haiwan Uke and Morote Uchi Uke, techniques with the opposite arm (Gyaku Zuki and Gyaku Uchi Uke) and for the first time kicks (Yoko Geri et Mae Geri), and an open hand typing technique (Chudan Shihon Nukite).
But what characterizes the most Heian Nidan it is the predominance of the position Kokutsu-Dachi in the first half of the kata and the passage from Kokutsu to Zenkutsu-Dachi. The work of the hips is also very pronounced in this kata in particular in the line of return with on-site passage of a position Hanmi (of 3 / 4 profile), in Shomen (of face) then Gyaku Hanmi (3 / 4 reversed ).
The timing of the kata has also changed with several times phases on a rhythm in "1-23".
Decomposition of Kata
Here is the frame by frame of the Kata. The photos are not perfect because they are directly from the video. I thank you in advance for your indulgence
As Heian Shodando not remember all the names at the beginning but make an effort to keep a few of them in order to prepare you for your future grade crossing as soon as possible
(I put aside the break time you have to do sometimes.)
- Musubi Dachi, Rei (hello), announces kata. (all without haste) (3s)
- Hachiji Dachi Yoi (3s)
- Kokutsu Dachi left, Jodan Morote Haïwan Uke
- On the spot, Nagashi Uke left and Tetsui Uchi right
- on the spot, Yoko Zuki Chudan left (Warning, I tend to do it too high on the video, it's Chudan it must be) (1s)
- Pivot on the spot, Kokutsu Dachi right, the arms stay to the back (the left goes down directly (it falls!) And the right goes backwards at the moment of the pivot
- On the spot, Jodan Morote Haïwan Uke (there is no pause between the 6 and the 7, the 7 point is only an intermediate point for understanding.)
- On the spot, Nagashi Uke right and Tetsui Uchi left
- on the spot, Yoko Zuki Chudan right (I always make the same height error on the video, pay attention!) (1s)
- Position your left foot under your center of gravity to free your right leg. Preparation of Yoko Geri: the left fist is Ikite and the right is laid on it. You raise your right foot by positioning it against your left knee (Be careful not to raise your knee too high in front by tilting the pelvis backwards) -> see the description of Yoko Geri.
- Jodan Yoko Geri Keage right + Jodan Uraken Uchi right (Be careful to tilt your pond for Yoko Geri)
- You bring back your leg, right foot against the left knee by bringing your pelvis horizontally. At the same time you turn your head to the left and prepare your Shuto Ukeright hand stretched to the left, left hand at the level of your right shoulder.
- Kokutsu Dachi left Shuto Uke Chudan left (1 / 2 s)
- Kokutsu Dachi Right Shuto Uke Chudan Right (1 / 2)
- Kokutsu Dachi Left Shuto Uke Chudan Left
- While advancing Ayumi Ashi, you make Osae Uke left (Be careful to get your hand down enough, it's a blockage!)
- Zenkutsu Dachi right, Chudan Shihon Nukity right - KIAÏ (2s)
- Rotate from the left on the front foot with preparation of the left Shuto Uke
- Kokutsu Dachi Chudan Shuto Left Uke
- at 45 ° right: kokutsu Dachi Chudan Shuto Uke right (1s)
- Rotation from the right on the back heel, with preparation of the right Uke Shuto
- Kokutsu Dachi Chudan Shuto Uke Right
- at 45 ° left: kokutsu Dachi Chudan Shuto Left Uke (1s)
- You keep your left arm extended and you position yourself in ZenKutsu Dachi towards the right line back, the right arm under the left (preparation Uchi Uke)
- On the spot Gyaku Uchi Uke, your hips turn strongly in the opposite direction to the blockage and end up in Gyaku Hanmi.
- Mae Geri Keage right (be careful, your arms do not move!)
- Zenkutsu Dachi right, Gyaku Zuki Chudan left (your hips end up in front (Shomen))
- On the spot, Gyaku Uchi Uke, as your hips turn strongly to position themselves in Gyaku Hanmi, you must at the same time move back slightly your right foot. Warning it is not your foot that moves back, but your hips, the foot only follows the movement; I explain it in detail on the video
- Mae Geri Keage left (The arms still do not move!)
- Zenkutsu Dachi left, Gyaku Zuki Chudan right (your hips end up in front (Shomen))
- ZenKutsu Dashi right, Chudan Morote Uchi Uke right (Attention, unlike Uchi Uke, in this blockage, the hips turn in the direction of blocking!) (1s)
- Rotate by the left on the front foot (go again Taïkyoku Shodan for explanations.) with preparation of Gedan Barai left
- Zenkutsu Dachi left, Gedan Barai left
- at 45 ° right: on the spot Jodan Age Uke left open hand
- at 45 ° right: Zenkutsu Dachi right, Jodan Age Uke right (These two last times follow each other and are one)
- Rotation from the right on the back heel, with preparation of the right Gedan Barai
- Zenkutsu Dachi right, Gedan Barai right
- at 45 ° left: on the spot Jodan Age Uke right hand open
- to 45 ° on the left: Zenkutsu Dachi left, Jodan Age Uke left (These two last times follow each other and are one) - KIAÏ (2s)
- Back Hachiji Dachi swiveling on the back heel and bringing back the left leg (3s)
- Back Musubi Dachi (Bring each foot in half one after the other, half right, then half left.)
Rei (Hi) (3s)
Here, I hope that this description will be useful to you to work your Kata.
Now, place to the video. I detail you, step by step, Heian Nidan by resuming everything in detail ..
I'll find you right after your warm up that you can do thanks to my book: The ABC of warm-ups
Here, I hope that this video will help you progress. Do not hesitate to leave a comment below.
Leave me a comment below, thank you!
See you soon
"How to succeed your grade passes"