We have come to the end of 5 Katas Heian that we bequeathed Master Itosu.
Heian Godan, is in my opinion the hardest of all, which seems normal given the pedagogical logic that accompanies each Heian.
In this last Kata from the Heian series, it looks like Master Itosu wanted to incorporate most of the basic principles of karate in the same kata and that is perhaps what makes it so difficult:
There are also defense techniques at all levels with seizures, keys, and even a dodge jumped on a leg attack ...
But what characterizes most this kata is the little frank and direct attack. There are only two Gyaku Tsuki at the beginning of Kata and still they are quite special since they are executed in Kokutsu Dachi and both Tsuki before the first Kiai.
Heian Godan is like I already said the most difficult Kata of the series. Indeed, it requires a good knowledge of the various positions and a very good stability.
The pace is very peculiar with accelerations and fast sequences interspersed with slow time executed in breathing.
Heian Godan, the concentrate of Self-Defense:
The whole of Kata due to the lack of direct attack and the large number of defensive techniques makes us think of a concentrate of Self defense. As if this kata had been done voluntarily in a logic of self-defense and no longer learning technique and basic position.
With Heian Godan, it's no longer time to learn how to kick, punch and block techniques by doing a series of three techniques as in the previous Heian.
As if Master Itosu wanted to tell us:
It's time to use karate for what it's done, ie to defend itself.
Heian Godan, decomposition of Kata:
You should start remembering the names of the different techniques and familiarize yourself with them because you will soon need them for the passage of your black belt.
(I put aside the break time you have to do sometimes.)
- Musubi Dachi, Rei (hello), announces kata. (all without haste) (3s)
- Hachiji Dachi Yoi (3s)
- Kokutsu Dachi left, Chudan Uchi Uke left
- On site, Gyaku Zuki law. Attention, to launch Gyaku Zuki, there is only a vibration of the hips, they must not move as for a Gyaku Zuki in Zenkutsu Dachi. The energy of the Hara comes to rest on a solid and stable position to spread in the arm via the trunk and the shoulders.
- Pivot on the left heel, bring the right foot to the left foot and come to position yourself in Heisoku Dachi, Kagi Kamae, while swiveling to the right. The body is face to face and the look goes to the right. The hook position (Kagi) of the left arm is also called Mizu Nagare Kamae, that is to say " the position of flowing water Your arm should be positioned so that a drop of water resting on your shoulder would flow down to your wrist without falling down. I'll talk about it again on the video, you'll understand better. (1s)
- Kokutsu Dachi right, Chudan Uchi Uke law - same time 3
- On site, Gyaku Zuki left. same time 4
- Pivot on the right heel, bring the left foot to the right foot and come to position yourself in Heisoku Dachi, Kagi Kamae, while swiveling to the left. The body is face to face and the look is in front of you. same time 4. (1s)
- Move your right leg down to Kokutsu Dachi right, Chudan Morote Uchi Uke right
- Advancing one step (Ayumi Ashi), ZenKutsu Dachi left, Gedan Juji Uke. The right hand is over the left hand.
- On site, Jodan Juji UkeWith your hands open, your left hand is forward. Warning to move from Gedan Juji Uke to Jodan Juji Uke, some make the mistake of adding time by folding arms to the body. In fact the arms are good to the body, but it is not a proper time, it is just an intermediate passage, but without downtime. You block Gedan Juji Uke, then you release your arms by pulling them towards you, and immediately after, you redirect them up to block open hands in Jodan Juji Uke.
- On site Chudan Osae Uke left. From the position, Jodan Juji Uke's hands open, you rotate your hands by bending your wrists outward. You find your palms face to face, forming a V, the inside of your wrists against each other. Keeping the contact at the wrist, then at the base of the palms, you continue this rotation to bring the left hand on the right hand. The left hand is supported by Osae Uke on the right hand which is facing forward. As soon as the hands arrive below the right breastplate, we move on to the 13 time.
- On site, Chudan Zuki left. Be careful, this is a Tsuki and not a Tettsui. We strike with the Kentos. So you have to bring your hand a little to the left before letting it go forward for the Tsuki. The striking distance is very short and this Tsuki will ask you a good impulse of the belly (Hara) so that the fist can quickly take the speed.
- ZenKutsu Dachi right, Chudan Oi Zuki right by chaining very quickly after time 13 - KIAI (2s)
- You pull your front leg towards you and rotate to 180 ° from the left on the back foot to go into Kiba Dachi and do Gedan Bars law. The knee gets up high during the rotation and you do fumikomi just when taking the position.
- Your gaze goes to the left, your right arm stretches to the left and the left comes to the level of the right size (it is the phase of preparation of the blockage) then you do slowly (in 2 s) Chudan Haishu Uke left.
- Without moving your left hand you do Chudan Mikazuki Geri right in your outstretched hand.
- Then you pivot the hips sharply to 90 ° to the left to hit Chudan Empi Uchi right in your left hand. Be careful, it's not the shoulders that hit. The force must literally get you out of the belly. Your shoulders stay well locked down with a strong contraction under your armpits.
- You rock all your weight on the right leg is made Chudan Morote Uchi Uke right in Kosa Dachi. Here too, you will need to use the power of your belly to put strength in your technique.
- Without moving your right foot, you go Renoji Dachi and do Morote Ushiro Age Zuki. Your eyes completely turned to 90 ° on the left
- Spend all your weight on the left foot and propel yourself while swinging to the left to jump as high as possible by bringing back the heels to the buttocks and the points to the heights in Ikité. You must be as grouped as possible when you are in the air.
- You land in Kosa Dachi on the right leg strongly bent and do Gedan Juji Uke (right arm on left arm). Be careful, the bust stays upright, you do not have to lean forward - KIAI (No pause, we go directly on the 23 time.The KIAI is often confused between the time 22 and 23.It is a bit straddling both)
- ZenKutsu Dachi law, Morote Uchi Uke right (1 to 2 s (it's the break we did not do after the Kiai))
- You turn the body to the left and back by swiveling on the right foot. The left foot shifts in rotation. You extend your left arm and in rotation to 180 ° you do Shuto Gedan Barai left and raise the right arm, open hand in preparation at the forehead, elbow to the back. This time is an intermediate passage directly related to the next time.
- You continue your rotation by swiveling your hips to hit Gedan Gyaku Shuto Uchi right in ZenKutsu Dachi left. At the same time, the left hand protects the face by Jodan Nagashi Uke.
- Kokutsu Dachi + Gedan Bars left + Jodan Uchi Uke law. The times 25 and 26 follow each other very quickly and require a good control of your center of gravity. I advise you to review the video Kihon; hip rotation where I detail and make you work on this passage from Zenkutsu to Kokutsu Dachi. (1s)
- Without moving your arms, slowly bring your left leg towards you to position yourself Heisoku Dachi
- Rotate on the spot to the left by opening the arms in the open hands in preparation for the 29 time.
- You then turn your hips in the other direction to hit Gedan Gyaku Shuto Uchi left in ZenKutsu Dachi law. At the same time, the right hand protects the face by Jodan Nagashi Uke. same time 25
- Kokutsu Dachi + Gedan Bars right + Jodan Uchi Uke left. The 29 and 30 times follow each other very quickly. Same time 26 (1s)
- Returns Hachiji Dachi bringing back the left leg (3s)
- Back Musubi Dachi (Bring each foot in half one after the other, half right, then half left.)
- Rei (Hi) (3s)
Here you have all the cards now to succeed Heian Godan.
As you can see, it is not easy. It seems to have been inspired by Jion and Bassai, yet personally I find it almost harder to achieve.
Now you will spend your Kimono and warm up with my 3 ABC method and I'll find you right now on the video.
Here, I hope that this video will serve you often to see and see again Heian Godan.
In the meantime, Leave me a comment below and share this article with your friends. Thank you.
See you soon,
"How to succeed your grade passes"