Gyaku Zuki is the punch of the rear arm:
So naturally we will study Gyaku Zukibecause this punch is mainly used in Zenkutsu Dachi position (or also Fudo Dachi for advanced karate). Gyaku Zuki is extremely known competitors because he is formidable against attack. It is more rarely applied as a direct attack because unlike Oi Zuki, where the stroke arrives at the same time as the displacement, for Gyaku Zuki, we have to first position yourself to then launch the technique. This 1er phase of positioning will be difficult to place in combat without arousing the attention of your opponent, you will have to feign wisely with good timing.
On the other hand, Gyaku Zuki is ideal in counter attackbecause you can position yourself during the blocking or dodging phase and then launching Gyaku Zuki against by a live hip rotation.
Decomposition of Gyaku Zuki:
As I told you, Gyaku Zuki, breaks down into 2 phases :
- Phase N ° 1: Positioning : You will take a basic position (Zenkutsu Dachi, Kokutsu DachiEtc.). For ease of understanding, we will not discuss in this article the Gyaku Zuki that in position Zenkutsu Dachi. So you position yourself in Zenkutsu Dachi's ¾ face to your opponent. This is called Hanmi. The front arm is more or less taut in front. The back fist is at the hip (Ikite) palm facing upward. The elbow is pulled backwards by contracting the muscles of the back, the shoulder blades are close together, the back is straight.
- Phase No. 2: Execution of Gyaku Zuki : You are simply doing some kind of Choku Zuki of the back arm. You turn the pelvis sharply, taking support on the back leg and on the back. This rotation of the hips spreads to the trunk up to the shoulders. The rear arm is then let go towards the target while pulling the front arm in Ikity towards the opposite hip. We lock at the moment of Kime by a contraction of the abdominals and the back to "cash" the energy back.
As for Choku Zuki, all the energy starts from the belly (Hara). It is this internal energy that we will leave " explode In the hip rotation. You must keep the back heel "planted" in the ground, the foot turned as far forward as possible. You must not lift the heel by pressing on the front of the foot, then you lose the connection with the ground that will allow you to collect the energy back to the impact.
Arm and leg synchronization:
The back leg is stretched at the same time as the striking arm:
- The impulse starts from the center:
- contraction of the abdominals,
- rotation of the hip, trunk and shoulders
- and spreads in the members:
- contraction of the thigh and brachial triceps
- contraction of the calf and forearm with wrist rotation
- To finish in the ends:
- thrust in the heel and contraction of the fist.
The body then forms a homogeneous block.
It is said to be monolithic (like a stone)
Here, I hope I could enlighten you in the understanding of this technique of fist of the back arm that Gyaku Zuki.
You will be able now practice with the video that I have prepared for you.
I incorporated at the beginning exercises on hip rotations and at the end of specific stretching for the Gyaku Zuki.
I find you right now! ... to your kimonos!
(Do not forget to warm up before, thanks to the advice I give you in the ABCs of warming up , my book to download for free ;-))
So? How was the training? the video you to more? I hope it will allow you to progress in your Gyaku Zuki
Give me your feedback or comments in a comment below. Thank you
See you soon,
"How to succeed your grade passes"